Thursday, January 13, 2011

Thoughts on Creative Placemaking for the City of Martinez

M.C. Escher Relativity 1953 Lithograph

When I first considered what a Creative Placemaking plan for the City of Martinez could look like, I began seeing synergy throughout our downtown. And in a random stream of consciousness I threw ideas into an e-mail and hit the send button.



The bottom floor of the Sharkey building hosts the Martinez Arts Association. There is an entire upstairs floor that I see housing our In Motion dance instructors.

Some see the cement quonset hut structures behind the Amtrak Intermodal Station as a sports complex, I see a fully functioning sound stage where environment focused programing is produced.

I see our nascent film festival growing and including an environmental theme to be judged and awarded the John Muir award for best...

Where some fear the exodus of county jobs, I see an opportunity to repurpose the spaces and create affordable living space for creative/artistic people. Where there are tan and bland building walls, I see murals.

I see the City of Martinez radiating with creative talents, and like the sun radiates and all of creation strains to feel it's warmth, I see people being drawn, naturally, to our Downtown Historic District without the need for gimmick or guile.

Like the lithograph depicts, it's all in the way you see things.

No comments:

Post a Comment