Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year!

Wow, did you see what was going on tonight on Twitter? It was real-time crowdsourcing for bloggers (you can check it out by clicking #blogchat). Tons of great information, tips, encouragements, acknowledgments, collaboration, in short it is/was everything I'd imagine an artist colony to be. And isn't that what social media really encourages? Artistic expression?

Okay, it's no secret that I am a HUGE social media fan. And as it is the New Year and all, I think some acknowledgements and thanks are due. To all of the thought leaders who've made navigating these uncharted social media waters easier for this N00bz (a bit of an inside joke between me and my newest #cms pals) to navigate, thank you.

Joel Comm - author of Twitter Power
I can, with vivid recollection, remember the Newsweek cover and coverage of the Jonestown Massacre; Jim had convinced too many people to do what has now been coined "drink the koolaide". I was in high school and felt deep sorrow for the people whose lives had been cut down by a madman; thus began my addiction to news. The Internet, cable news, the events of 9/11 and my son Noel enlisting in the Navy reinforced the addiction.

By the time Joel's book came out in '09, after the Mumbai shootings, I was sold. Never before could I recall a time when individuals had so decisively wrested information control away from traditional media outlets. I had just accepted the position as VP of Public Relations for Worth A Dam and needed to know what Twitter was all about. Oh, and the forward by Anthony Robbins really sealed the deal; unfortunately I don't have video of my firewalk so people will have to take me at my word, I did it and it was very empowering!

Now there are many "Tweeps" that I need to thank for so much that I fear an academy moment and promise I will complete my "Thought Leaders list" and post it, but here in order of memory...

Glen Gilmore - Apart from Glen's dashing east coast looks (suck it up ladies he's married) Glen demonstrated a generosity of time and spirit, a true mentor. Here I was a true Twitter N00bz and Glen embraced my voice and took time to respond. A gentleman and scholar that I look forward to meeting ILR.

Thanks to Glen I've been introduced to the works of Richard Florida and look forward to bolstering my position with the #CityofMartinez in embracing our own core creative community. More on that in a subsequent posts...

Reg Saddler - Sorry Reg, I think I was enthusiastically tweeting (in true woohoo fashion) from the Embarcadero as I made my way into the City (if you have to ask - #fail) for Fleet Week '09 when you were intrigued enough to follow. Again like Glen, Reg is accessible and will respond. Added bene Reg is humble, believe me, as a single parent you get it. Pretty sure the moniker N00bz wouldn't cross his mind (or if it did, he wouldn't have Tweeted it). Reg, wishing you and the kids all the best for '11; but dude, if we're meeting IRL it'll have to be here on my turf, brrr! HNY!

Guy Kawasaki - Seriously if you have to ask, check your social media credentials at the door. Really looking forward to the release of Enchantment.

David Meerman Scott - who showed me that I could selectively post updates (Tweets) to Facebook by downloading an app and typing #fb. The fact that David had worked in an executive capacity in an industry I wanted to crack was completely missing at the moment. At the time I wasn't into TweetDeck or HootSuit and I could just imagine my facebook friends gunning for me for posting randomness (although if you ask my kid that is what I routinely post). Now if that were the only thing he taught me (ok I was just one of 40k + followers) that would've been golden.

But on my bookshelf and on my recommended reading list are two volumes penned by David, The New Rules of Marketing and PR and Real-Time Marketing and PR, for fear of sounding like I'm pandering (those who know me know I don't sprinkle praise liberally) Brilliant! David distills, in actionable chunks, the keys to leapfrogging to the top of social media maze. I promise the money you spend investing in David's books will be returned in ways incalculable.

Chris Brogan - I've been in sales for close to fifteen years (longer if I counted retail experience). I've had wonderful success and not so good fits. The book by Chris Brogan and Julien Smith, Trust Agents, really broke it down for me. I could focus my time on MY bottom line (not my authentic self) or find a better fit. Even though the N00bz tag was a slur, it wasn't too far off the mark. My life has been dedicated to tending to the needs of others. So, yes, I am a newbie, but and most importantly, I'm not ignorant of that fact. That is why I seek out the company of others (mentors). Again tremendous thanks to Tony Robbins for suggesting I could shorten my learning curve by adopting (modeling) the best practices of leaders in the field I was interested in.

Yikes! I've nuked my own rules of easily digestible chunks for this blog. Chris Voss - I promise you haven't escaped these laurels. But I need to wrap for now. Happy New Year! And when you get up to Ess Eff, call me.

That's it for now. Love and best wishes for 2011!

Linda

1 comment:

  1. Linda, thank you for your very kind remarks! They are a reminder of what makes social media so enjoyable - the constant opportunity to make connections with talented and thoughtful people without respect to geography. Hope you and yours have a wonderful new year! Glen (aka @GlenGilmore)

    ReplyDelete