Saturday, August 21, 2010

Stewardship: In The Beginning; Conserving the Creation

Every time I see a breathtaking sunset, an enormous moon filled sky, fox, deer, hawk, I remember the phrase “In the beginning God created” and I am filled with awe…

I forget how old I was the day I was in a doctor’s office with my grandmother and I saw an illustrated book of the bible. The inside cover had a sleeve, like a library book, but instead of a check out card there were prepaid postcards to request ‘additional information.’ My Daddy was surprised the day a door to door salesman knocked, asking for me. I loved those books.

I also forget how old I was the first time I saw a sponsorship packet for the World Wildlife Fund; I learned whales, polar bears and panda bears needed my protection. I became adept at filling out ‘for more information’ cards, I was always rewarded with stickers of animals I fell in love with.

I generally stay away from publicly discussing my deeply held beliefs because inevitably one of two things happen, simple conversation turns into a heated debate or I am beaten over the head with ‘science.’ As an INTJ the leap of faith required to cover the chasm called “the missing link” is far greater than looking at the diversity of our planet, its inhabitants and attribute the marvels of creation to a creator.

I have said ‘I’ way too many times on this blog but soon I’ll be working with folks as we try and develop a blueprint for growth for the City of Martinez. It just feels right that I share a bit about what’s important to me and why. Of the few posts I’ve written, this has been the most challenging for me personally. I mentioned on my facebook page, one afternoon not that long ago, that I don’t do emotion easily; how I feel about the natural world is pure emotion. How I will communicate about conserving open space, wildlife corridors and wildlife will be from an emotional point of view.

And not everyone will get it.

In the beginning God created; in the hierarchy of creation I am told I am more valuable than the sparrows, but God is still mindful of the sparrow. Who am I to not be equally mindful…

No comments:

Post a Comment