Thursday, August 5, 2010

General Plan Update Task Force

Last year when I was in Santa Cruz inspiration for a blog struck and suddenly I was on the phone with Go Daddy registering the .com domain name. A year later much has changed; what I envisioned as a launching pad for a book and video with a virtual storefront is morphing into something completely different.

Back in February I learned the City of Martinez would be updating its General Plan. Part of the process included the formation of a task force comprised of 17 individuals representing various interests and geographic areas of Martinez. I expressed an interest and in May I received an email congratulating me on being one of the 17 chosen from a field of 54 applicants.

In the later part of this month our task force will take a field trip to familiarize ourselves with the various elements that make up a General Plan: Land Use, Circulation, Housing, Conservation, Open Space, Noise, Safety and Other Elements. For those familiar with the role I played in the formation of Worth A Dam and the ultimate détente between the City of Martinez and the now world famous ‘Martinez Beavers’ you can probably determine which of these elements are of a special interest to me. That’s why Untamed Martinez still works for a blog/domain name.

But as religious readers of the Martinez News-Gazette know, I do more than hike with my dogs in the hills above the Carquinez Straits or dabble in sales and marketing discussions on Twitter. As in the case of this blog’s focus my community identity has morphed from ‘beaver lady’ to ‘ad lady’. I’m in the trenches with business owners and entrepreneurs; I also carry their voices into this process.

The blog still needs an identity so expect cosmetic changes soon but I’ve learned that when my muse speaks I heed his voice. Waiting until I’ve nailed down my blog design before I begin, oh blogging, is just silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment