Monday, August 9, 2010

Stewardship: No it’s not just a stupid effing mouse…

For the first meeting of the general plan update task force we were each given a homework assignment: “Telling My Story” an introduction in short story form touching on; where we’re from, hobbies and interests, community group affiliations, occupation, special skills and expertise and ‘anything else that could help people get to know you better’. I think I’ve covered those here as well so I’m optimistic my choice of stewardship as a focus isn’t surprising.

Ten days ago I overheard a comment about our marina and the dredge ponds as I left Starbucks on my daily hike with my dogs Baron and Snoop. There are times when I’d love to be able to just stop, turn and say “it’s never just about one thing” instead I tossed my frustration out to the twitterverse and went about my day.

This comment stands out for me not because it was unique, negative reactions from people who perceive an aspect of the natural world as an impediment to “progress” are common, but it highlighted an ignorance of the greater than fifty year history of our dilapidated marina and pier. The current state of general disrepair and neglect was decades in the making, long before some stupid effing mouse chose to reclaim its rightful place in our marshlands and wetlands.

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." ~Edmund Burke.

Unfortunately the final work product developed by the task force will have zero bearing on the development of the Alhambra Highlands project. Some very smart people have already voiced concerns regarding drainage and sluff when contemplating the removal of 650 trees and grading hill tops. I see it from a different perspective. I look at the removal of 650 live oak trees, presumably many of which are acorn granaries, as setting the stage for future human/wildlife conflict similar to what’s happened in Rossmoor.

Years from now the comment will be, ‘they’re just stupid effing woodpeckers’ and my response will still be it’s never just about one thing…

No comments:

Post a Comment